Monday, May 14, 2012

Emmeline looooove

I'm ashamed to admit that I started this apron... oh, at least year ago.  It's a really easy pattern, but  poor fabric choice sent it to purgatory (my UFO drawer) for 6 months until I busted it out for the first guild sew day of 2012.  Brandishing my seam ripper, I attacked the beautiful but too-busy teal polka dot that I had used for the above- and below-bust stripes and replaced with a lighter solid teal.  Fear not - I did keep the teal polka dot in there for the ties.

Back when I started the apron, my niece made me a special drawing that I had planned to turn into an embroidered pocket.  That could not be skipped, so Mr. Apron (or is it a Ms?) waited patiently for another few months while I got myself together and made the pocket, thanks to another guild sew day.  I save my problem projects for the sew days because good company helps me work on things that are being difficult.

I tried out some fun stitches from the embroidery book "Doodle Stitching" by Aimée Ray

Another month or so and I had the binding/neck strap hand stitched.  The instructions call for hand stitching this, but I top stitched all of the other aprons.  Honestly I only hand stitched this one because I was almost out of matching thread and I didn't think there was enough for top stitching.  Note to self... it would have been waaaay faster to make a trip to Joann's and buy more thread.


Just when this poor guy thought he was finally done, I decided to do a little more adjustment.  The gathered bust was a pretty good fit, but it was uniformly sized across.  That make it kind of sag in a little lump in the center where there is no... curvature to push it out.  Using my mad genius sewing skillz, I opened up the bottom of the apron and did a little cosmetic surgery.  I effectively change the bust pattern piece like so:

That fixed things right up, and even added a little va-va-voom!


Tying that bow so prettily took a long time
Did I mention that it's double-sided?
I put this baby to work the other night for rolling out pizza dough.  Yay for flour-free clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment