EEEEEK my first pillow! I got a bag of dyed solids scraps that turned out to be from Leslie. I have been interested in dyeing my own fabric, so I was excited to play with them. But at the same time, I had never used something like that before OR made a pillow, and I was a little terrified. After staring around like a deer in headlights for two days, I finally decided to bust out my own scraps and see if I came up with anything based on combining my scraps with hers.
Success! In fact, the fabric that I ultimately added was right there on top of my scrap bin; medium grey strips that I had cut for another quilt and then decided not to use. I elected to do a checkerboard pattern using my grey scraps with the dyed scraps from Leslie. The squares are 1" finished, and I hand quilted a second square inside of each colored square.
The pillow shell is about 15" across, but I put in a 16" pillow form because I like them looking a little overstuffed.
|And in the background is the back of the picnic quilt I made for my sister. Yes, I am still holding it hostage.|
The edges of the front are bordered out in the same grey, with machine quilted concentric squares. Originally I planned to do a plain envelope back, with a strip of her scraps pieced together next to the envelope edge. It turned out that I didn't have enough of my grey fabric left to do an envelope back, so instead I pieced a back (slash "other front") and did some simple and minimal quilting:
Of course, no envelope closure meant that I needed to put in a zipper. Eeek again!
Whew. That went in just fine. That's probably thanks to all the zipper practice I got when we made goodie bags for the quilt retreat back in February. Thanks Kelly for getting that pattern together and training us all on zippers!
Leslie sent me a sweet little thank you message after the meeting. I'm really glad that she likes it!
*Bay Area Modern, our local modern quilt guild. The acronym BAM is catching on, amidst a lot of Emeril jokes.