Monday, February 13, 2012

Picnic Quilt progress

The girls in my 1 Year 12 Quilts bee made these blocks for me in 2010 (2010??? Where did time go??) 

 Thanks to my WIP-clearing challenge for this year, I finally got around to bringing them out and piecing the top.  I got some additional sheets bits in the last year, and after looking the blocks over, I decided that my new yellow and orange pieces were a necessary addition.  Surgery time.

When the patient was in recovery, I turned my attention to the back.  A green and yellow stripe from Joann's was calling my name, but the amount left on the bolt was exactly the same area as the finished top... leaving no room for piecing it to the correct dimensions, especially considering that stripes would need to be matched.  In the end, the fabric refused to stay at the store and I solved the size issue with a little border of a vintage yellow flower fabric that was in my stash.

Then it was time for basting... Private Practice helped me get through that without too much pain.  Quilting is barely started but I'm just going to outline all the little squares with straight line quilting.  Hopefully I will be showing the finished quilt before too long!

1 comment: