Thursday, May 30, 2013

R-burst quiltalong: The end!


This post is a part of the R-Burst Quiltalong.

Finishing time!  I chose to quilt my top with a 2" grid that passes through the center of each small square.  If you want to do the same, place your basting pins in the center of every other small square. 



That makes it easy to quilt and avoid pins.  First make a pass over the whole quilt in the vertical direction, quilting the line of squares that doesn't have any pins.



With half the vertical lines done, the quilt is held together plenty well and all of the pins can be removed. I recommend quilting all of the horizontal lines next, then going back to quilt the rest of the vertical lines. 

I like a couple of different binding methods, and I chose between them according to the quilt and how it will be used.  On quilts that are in for a lot of use and washing, I feel most comfortable doing a machine binding - especially if I am giving them away to someone who is not going to know how to repair the binding if hand stitching starts to come apart.

This is my favorite machine binding method.

The only thing I would add to that tutorial is to iron!  First iron the binding up off the edge of your quilt, then fold it over and iron again from the other side to keep it folded down.  It really helps when you get to sewing so that your binding and stitch line don't wander all over the place. 

I took tons of pictures of the finished quilt, but I am still going through those so you will have to wait until tomorrow to see it.  Sorry guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment