Saturday, December 15, 2012

Stripping for charity

I have a new quilt to share today, this one I made at the guild charity sew day.  We all whipped up quilts using Cluck Cluck Sew's free Strip & Flip pattern/tutorial.  This entire quilt (including binding) took 8 hours to sew... I know because I did it all at the event.

I believe that nearly all of the fabric for this quilt was donated to Bay Area Modern by Julie of the Intrepid Thread.  Thank you, Julie!  I opted for a hopefully boy-friendly selection of colors and fabrics and was definitely working outside of my comfort zone there, but I love the combination. 

My takeaway from making this quilt is that the pattern shows best if you arrange your strips in a gradient of some sort.  With a random placement, it's not immediately obvious that the center strip is intentionally flipped and some of the pattern's magic is lost. 

I had a leftover stack of strips that made it onto the back of the quilt, and finished it all with evenly spaced vertical quilting and a pieced binding:

This quilt joined the guild charity pile for Project Night-Night.  We had a goal for 2012 of (I believe) making 40 charity quilts, and we donated one hundred and one quilts this month.  Whoa guys!  That is crazy awesome and I hope that we can keep it up next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment